Vice President - Business Development
1. How is ExpreS2ion Biotechnologies helping to solve protein expression challenges?
ExpreS2ion Biotechnologies’ protein expression system ExpreS2 is an important protein expression tool in the scientist’s tool box for protein expression. Many proteins that have not been expressed in any other tested systems could be made with ExpreS2. ExpreS2 has been able to solve protein expression dead ends and poor quality protein expressed in other systems. ExpreS2 has in many cases provided protein when other systems failed, or when the protein produced was degraded or the yield very low.
2. How does the protein expression system evolve to be a standard for R&D in the areas of immunotherapy and therapeutic proteins?
To make ExpreS2 one of the standard expression systems is one of our company’s aspirations. Through engaging with top academic, public and commercial laboratories, and supporting their most challenging protein projects, we expect that more publications and more proteins in clinical development will use and refer to ExpreS2, thereby extending the use in protein expression.
3. What is the significance of recent agreement with Boston Children’s Hospital for the use of protein expression platform ExpreS2?
Boston Children’s Hospital is one of the top public research laboratories. For ExpreS2ion Bio, the fact that they take a license to our system is a recognition by top scientists, of the usefulness and quality of the ExpreS2 system.
4. What is the role of recombinant protein expression platform in drug discovery and manufacturing?
Many drug discovery projects depend on having access to high quality proteins. These proteins may be difficult to make and complex. The ExpreS2 platform has demonstrated in many instances its usefulness in R&D, with several ExpreS2-made proteins having now been crystallized. When the proteins are intended for use as vaccines or as therapeutic molecules, ExpreS2 can be used from the research laboratory bench through to cGMP manufacturing. This provides important time savings, as comparative tests, that are needed when the system used in R&D is not the same as used in clinical development, are in the case of use of ExpreS2 not needed. Further, the nature of the system allows for process development to take place in parallel with the tasks needed to make cell line selection for manufacturing, thus providing further time savings.
5. How does the company engage in vaccine manufacturing for neglected diseases such as malaria, dengue fever, chikungunya?
The Malaria parasites, dengue virus and Chikingunya virus’ proteins can be challenging to make in other expression systems. The ExpreS2 system has so far been able to provide scientists working in malaria and Dengue with proteins that they had not been able to make with other systems, and has provided with alternative and more efficient ways of making certain complex Dengue virus and ChiKv virus-like particles.
6. What's in store for vaccine industry professonals at World Vaccine Congress Europe 2015?
ExpreS2ion Bio are sponsoring and exhibiting, and hoping to share the good experiences our users had, and attract more projects that are currently struggling because of poor protein yields or poor quality of protein.
7. How does ExpreS2ion Biotechnologies achieve high protein yields while keeping manufacturing costs low?
The ExpreS2 system is compatible with many single use systems. This reduced capital investment needs in manufacturing. Further, the system is fast to protein and allows for parallel tasks to take place in process development, saving time to development. The system is easy to transfer to manufacturing facilities and adaptable to a variety of existing manufacturing settings. The system is compatible with continuous manufacturing, which is aiming at manufacturing savings.
8. How will the company support the research at the Gene Center, Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität München, Germany?
The LMU Gene Center Muenchen has a license to our system and is using it to produce proteins that they could not make in other systems. This way, we are helping the teams that are engaged in this type of research, to progress their work.